Things Come in Elevens … Part 2

Please feel free to thank (blame!) Theresa Allen for dropping me into the “11 Questions” meme that’s been doing the rounds of late.

Part 2

1. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.

2. List 11 bloggers.

3. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.

11 Answers to 11 Questions

medium_5556249000
photo credit: opensourceway via photopin cc

1) If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?

Hmm. I’d like to see more humanity and compassion, particularly amongst our political leaders.

2) Should people care more about doing the right thing, or doing things right? Why?

It’s important for people to do what’s right for them, to the best of their ability. If this means bending the rules, not conforming to the norms, then so be it … providing this is done for the good of others.

3) What things hold you back from doing the things that you really want to?

Lack of understanding and acceptance of creative thinking in schools where the students need it the most. Given the space and degree of freedom I need, I believe I could make a difference for students who are disengaged, alienated, or disadvantaged by the school system.

4) What makes you, you?

Good question. A commitment to living life one step at a time, to the best of my ability,  with the aim of making a small, but positive change in the world.

5) What makes a good friend?

A friend is someone you can share a laugh with, someone who is there when you need them. It doesn’t matter if they are ‘real world’ or online friends … both have made a difference in my life.

6) What was/is your favorite class in college/university?  Why?

The (contested) history of “The Pacific War” and the “Convict History of Australia”. Both these classes were taught by brilliant lecturers who loved their subject, and if I wasn’t a teacher, I’d be a historian. I loved every minute of my History studies.

7) What is an important thing people should know about educators?

Teaching is a difficult, stressful profession. Treat new teachers with respect and courtesy, and give them the space to learn their craft. We’re doing our best.

8) What is your favorite grade to teach?  Why?

Roughly Grades 4-5, as the students are generally keen to learn. I prefer teaching older students, as you can go into topics in more depth than you can with little people.

9) Who/what inspired you to be who you want to be or are today?

Besides my parents, there are a few people who’ve shaped who I’ve become today. One in particular was not so much an inspiration, but someone who believed in me, and fought to ensure I had a fair go. There are also a number of people in my online PLN who I see as role models for the educator I hope to become.

10) What is the best age to be?  Why?

Umm, no idea.

11) Where do you want to travel?

How long is the list? New Zealand, Singapore, USA, Canada, Argentina, and Peru would be relatively high on the list.

Your Turn

After some careful thought, I’d like to invite these people to take up the challenge.

As people who have variously inspired, guided, and informed my global journey,  I’d love to learn more about who they are, and what they stand for.  I know some are very busy with other projects, but I’m happy to give them as much time as they need 🙂 No pressure!

Deb Frazier

Edna Sackson

Clive Elsmore

Andrew Woodman

Michael-Ann Cerniglia

Julie Lindsay

Vijay Krishnan

Vicki Davis

Maria Colussa

Lisa Parisi

Kerry Muste

Your Questions

1) Who are you?

2) Can you share a defining moment in your journey as an educator?

3) If you were given the opportunity to take a year off your regular job, where would you go, and what would you do?

4) What advice would you give to pre-service and early years teachers, who are starting to find their way in the profession?

5) Who was your favourite teacher as a young person? What made them so memorable?

6) If you could share a dinner with two online friends, who would you invite? Why?

7) What is your favourite food / dessert? (Please share the recipe if you can)

8) Can you share a photograph, artwork, or video, and briefly explain what makes it special to you?

9) Do you have a particular song / anthem which is special to you? Why?

10) Do you, or your family, have a special place you enjoy exploring or spending time in?

11) If you could meet a historical figure from any time period, who would you want to meet, and why?

2 responses

1. 1) Who are you?
    A lifelong teacher and learner, new proud granny…

Discovering inquiry as an approach was a ‘real thing’ that fit in with my beliefs about learning.

I’d love to volunteer in India, working with teachers.

Clarify your beliefs about learning. Listen to the kids. Listen to your gut instincts. Connect online with teachers and learners globally.

My Grade 4 teacher gave me responsibilities, which made me feel valued. I was allowed to read aloud to the class from the class novel in her place 🙂

Micheal Graffin, because he still hasn’t filled me in on developments as promised. We’d invite Clive too because we’d both love to meet him in person.

Chocolate.No recipe required 🙂

See my new Twitter pic with my gorgeous grandson Shai.

Not really. I love classical music and am listening to Bach cello suites at this moment.

Home is pretty good. Currently Boston is a special place because my grandson lives here. I would love to visit India again.

I haven’t really thought about this, will get back to you.

Happy new year!

• Hey Ed 🙂 Thank you for sharing these – it appears we have a great deal more in common than I realised, including a love of classical music and chocolate 🙂

I am looking forward to finally catching up with Clive and yourself, one day face-to-face, but in the meantime Skype will have to suffice 🙂

Happy New Year to you too 🙂