On Monday, I had the opportunity to present about Scootle, and the Scootle Community at a local school’s staff development day. As a follow up to the session, I’m sharing my slides, and links to some useful resources for teachers interested in exploring further.
What does it offer?
- Scootle is helping enable teachers to integrate digital technologies into their curriculum, assist in the discovery and creation of Australian curriculum resources, and provides a stepping stone for building professional networks beyond the school community.
- Search for Australian Curriculum Resources by strand, year group, key words, topic, and Australian curriculum indicators.
Access Copyright free resources, photos, videos, units of work, and digital learning objects for all learning areas, good for literacy, numeracy, history.
Learning objects can be used on IWB, some will play on iPad (HTML5 objects).
Can share resources and learning objects with students/staff using PIN codes, or PDF export of Learning Paths (recommended option).
- Scootle Community network is a great stepping stone professional learning network for Australian teachers.
A learning path allows you to create folders around concepts, topics or learning area. You can classify resources or paths into folders. We created a learning path focusing on Measurement in Maths for F-2 students. The PIN is LCRFEQ.
PIN codes are found when you click on the Edit tab of Learning Paths
Notes for Local Teachers
- Access via the BPS school network is best done on teacher computers or personal iPads. Sadly the Scootle app doesn’t work on the local WiFi network.
- Staff can access scootle.edu.au via the DET Portal in the iPad Safari browser, but the inability to access Flash content is quite irritating.
Downloadable Resources / Web Links
Thank you to Jan Clarke, of AISWA, who kindly shared some of the following resources.
- 10 Ways to Use Scootle (Infographic)
- Scootle User Guide (detailed, step by step)
- Scootle 2013 (1 page user guide)
- Scootle LP Interactive selection Yr 1 2 (Sample Learning Path – PDF export)